What are the benefits of eating cantaloupe? 10 benefits
Cantaloupe is a delicious summer fruit. It supplies many health benefits, including
- Improves vision: Eating cantaloupe daily can improve your vision. Vitamin C, zeaxanthin and carotenoids present in cantaloupe improve vision and reduce the risk of cataracts and macular degeneration (an eye disease that causes vision loss, typically in the central field of vision).
- Balances body fluids and electrolytes: Cantaloupe is rich in water and electrolytes. This helps maintain adequate fluid and electrolyte levels in the body.
- Manages diabetes: Cantaloupes has a low glycemic load score of four. Low glycemic load means that your body digests it slowly and prevents a blood sugar spike. Thus, it is great for people with diabetes.
- Reduces dehydration: Cantaloupes are 90 percent water. High water content may prevent dehydration during the summer. Thus, having a bowl of cantaloupe in the summer will replenish lost fluids.
- Regulates blood pressure: Cantaloupes are loaded with potassium. Potassium helps relax blood vessels and lower blood pressure.
- Prevents constipation: A high level of dietary fiber is essential to promote bowel movements and digestive health. Fiber bulks up the stool and makes your bowel movement regular.
- Boosts immunity: Cantaloupe is filled with compounds called phytonutrients. Phytonutrients boost immunity and help fight off diseases. These compounds give it anti-inflammatory properties. Vitamin A boosts immunity and production of white blood cells.
- Aids in fetal development: Folate in the cantaloupe is one of the most essential nutrients during pregnancy, as it prevents neural tube defects in babies. It also helps form red blood cells in the body and maintains the overall health of the mother and the baby.
- Acts as a potent anticancer agent: Studies have shown that folate plays a significant role in cancer prevention. Folate may be useful when administered in the early stages of cancer. However, folate may promote cancer-forming cells when taken in the late stages of cancer. Further research is required to discover the anticancer potential of cantaloupe.
- Provides skin nourishment and minimizes hair loss: The vitamins present in cantaloupe nourish the skin and protect the skin from harmful toxins. These minerals and vitamins encourage hair growth and simultaneously minimize hair loss.
Besides, cantaloupes also have the following benefits
Content credit: MedicineNet